Nicola Allan is an Aberdeenshire based artist, children's book author/illustrator and creator of the Nic Allan brand. She's also one half of the Faunabelle Tarot team: the little deck with a big heart.
After spending over a decade training and working as a lawyer, and growing increasingly frustrated, she decided she couldn't ignore the nagging feeling that a life of contracts and suit wearing wasn't exactly her and quit her job in 2014. Soon after Nic Allan was born.
Nicola's work reflects our shared human experience. It can just be the expression of a penguin or the action of a tortoise but it conveys an emotional truth and subtly speaks to people about being a human. As well as humanity being an endless source of inspiration, her thoughts always turn to creatures great and small when starting to think about a new product. Any excuse for a trip to the zoo...
Fun Nicola Facts:
- She grew up in the jungle on the island of Borneo, most recently lived in Mexico and can now be found stomping around Scotland, which is "home".
- Her favourite numbers are 7, 11 & 23.
- She is extremely light sensitive - waking up as soon as the sun starts thinking about peaking over the horizon.
- She loves running. She also hates running, and also loves it. It's very confusing.
- When she was younger she wanted to be a vet... but studied law and practiced as a lawyer in two jurisdictions for over 12 years.
- She is passionate about picture books and curious about all things magical and mystical.
- Lifeblood: Tea
- Geeks Out On: Astrology
- Favourite Scent: Scottish Mist or "Haar"
- Favourite Childhood Book: Mog by Judith Kerr
- Talent: Extremely Loud Whistling
- Awards: Winner of the Panaga Highland Games (Brunei) T-shirt Design Competition 1996
- Catchphrase: "She believed she could, so she did."
Get in touch if you have a something in mind, Nicola would be delighted to bring your project to life!
For work enquiries, or to say hello, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org